Monday, November 27, 2017

Achievement Unlocked: I Finally Did This Map Assignment

After days of long and hard thinking of what to make my map over, I found my idea in my obsession: my computer. I decided to model my personal geography over the achievement map, from Minecraft, a game I play every once in a while, but one of my favorites nonetheless! 

I mapped my achievements similar to the way the game has it set up. In the game, in order to unlock one achievement, you must unlock one before it. For example, you can't get the achievement "Acquire Hardware" (make a pickax) if you haven't gotten the achievement "Hot Topic." With my map, I tried to map it as similar as possible, but their were some achievements that didn't have certain requirements. Like, I don't need to turn 13 in order to get a phone. I just happened to be 13, when I got my first phone. There is also just a section at the bottom not connected to the top, due to the fact that I couldn't find anything to connect it with and make sense. But aside from that, everything that is connected in my map, correlates in one way in or another. Nothing is connected just for funsies.

At the top left of my map is the only achievement required in order to reach the other achievements - be born. Each purple arrow points to something that I have achieved and the red arrows point to something I have not achieved yet. For example, I have purple arrow pointing to me turning 16, but a red arrow pointing to me getting a car/being able to drive (because I've put off getting my permit for so long at this point is it even really worth it). Lines without an arrow are things that happen and have correlation, but it's not the causation. I have a line going from me learning to speak to me "performing" in front of a crowd, because those things correlated in my life but were not the causation.

I felt my map was similar to Rebekah's in the way that she mapped a part of her life that she hasn't gotten to yet. She declared it her map as the "Unknown Territory" and I mapped them with the red arrows leading to things I haven't achieved yet. For Rebekah, she mapped more of the ups and downs of her life, and I just mapped the ups part. We both know what our up parts in life and we both know that their is an unknown part of our life that we won't know what happens until we get there or until we achieve that moment. It's an unknown, un-achieved moment in our lives that we have mapped because it all connects with the events that have already happened.

2 comments:

  1. What an awesome and creative take on this open-ended project. I love the idea of a life as an achievement map. Your map helps to visualize the idea that bigger goals are often the result of a series of more or less purposeful middle steps. Thanks also for the attention to detail, and to the fine distinctions between things that are connected/not connected. I am especially fond of your use of different symbols to signify correlation vs. causation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome and creative take on this open-ended project. I love the idea of a life as an achievement map. Your map helps to visualize the idea that bigger goals are often the result of a series of more or less purposeful middle steps. Thanks also for the attention to detail, and to the fine distinctions between things that are connected/not connected. I am especially fond of your use of different symbols to signify correlation vs. causation.

    ReplyDelete